Thursday, March 04, 2004

It really happened.

Last night was kinda weird. After patching up the last of my injuries, Jen and I had quite a talk. She remembers more than I was expecting. Turns out that the first hit she took just sort of dazed her rather than knocking her out like I thought. I asked her about what she meant when she said 'Bare their wounds' but that raised more questions than it answered. It seems that she thought I was the one that said something. Swares she heard me say 'The night hides their deeds'. I don't know what any of it means but it has to be related to everything else that happened somehow. I also found out that Jen thought she saw it on top of the lamp. Explains why I thought it dropped out of the sky. Neither of us are sure what it was yet. Jen said she'd look into it but I don't know how that's going to work out for her. We're flying pretty blind here.

I offered to drive Jen home after we talked but as soon as I said it, she tensed up. I told her she could stay if she would feel safer and I'd sleep in the guest room. She was a lot more comfortable with that and honestly, so was I. Part of it was that I just wanted someone else around but as well as that, I just didn't like the thought of leaving her alone after all that. It looks like I can put a hole in a brick wall with my fists now (and don't even ask me how that works, I just know it does) and if another freak like that shows up, I want to make sure that Jen isn't alone. It's not that I think she's helpless, it's more that for some reason I feel that if I can hit like a mack truck, I should be using that to try help people. Yeah, yeah, too many Marvel comics when I was a kid, I know. Seriously though, that guy worries me and there's more out there like him (and I have this sick feeling in my gut that there is), then they need to be taken care of somehow.

This morning, we both called in sick for the day. Susan took our calls, so that probably set her off like a fire alarm. She saw us walk off base together last night and I'll tell you now that if the CIA ever comes up short of intel, Susan will be more than happy to fill them in. I mentioned as much to Jen and the grin she shot back, well that made me skip more than the usual few heart-beats. It let us feel normal again for a while over breakfast at least. We headed over to her place on Pickering street after that. I managed to bleed all over her shirt last night so she borrowed one of my old sweaters. Don't know what it is about a woman wearing them, but they always seem to look great in them. Sorry, getting side tracked again. Who would have thought that with all this going on I'd even be able to think like that huh? Moving along though. On the way over, we drove along Grange road and there were a bunch of cars parked right where we were attacked. MP's, regular cops, maintenence from the power company, a regular circus. We turned off and went a few blocks on Frank street to get there rather than risk them stopping us. Looked like someone had ripped up a lamp post and busted up someone's fence.

I'm still a little fuzzy on what exactly happened while we were at her place. I didn't really have much to do with it, Jen just sort of organised it and I let her. As I said, she's the new nurse up at the base, so I've really only known her for about 4 months now but we really do get on well and since we know that nobody would believe us if we told them about what happened last night, we know that we have to stick together like it or not. As such, Jen's idea was simple, we don't just let Susan tell everyone that we're an item, we support it. We quite often have meals together during our shifts so really I wouldn't be too suprised if the rumor mill was already going and this way, the people we work with won't think twice about what we were doing last night. If anyone asks them, they'll most likely be supporting our cover story. On top of that, Jen can stay here if she gets worried about being at home alone without anyone thinking it's odd. So she packed up a few thing and followed me back in her car. Took her about 20 minutes to make it look like she half moved in about a month ago. I'll have to get used to being in the guest room for a while I guess. I'll be keeping this log as up to date as I can for a while. It's a good way for me to keep my thoughts organised and may be handy if anything goes wrong. Gotta go for now though, I promised Jen that we'd go grocery shopping. Apparently pantry is "stocked pretty well for a guy, but there's not nearly enough chocolate to convince anyone that a woman comes to stay".

-J.C.

No comments: