Tuesday, March 09, 2004

How much worse can it get?

After our shopping trip last week, we decided to take Friday off as well. Most of the day was pretty quiet. Jen made a few calls to her family to let them know where to reach her now. Took her about 2 hours to get them off the phone. She tells me they asked a lot of questions about me but other than that, not much happened. The weekend was a different story. We packed up a picnic lunch and went out to the lake. The call to her parents made Jen realise that we really don't know each other all that well outside of work so we spent most of Saturday just getting to know each other properly. Two really good things came out of that. The first was that now we sound like we really have been together for a while and the other is that by the end of the day we realised we'd become quite good firends. We stayed home again on Sunday and I was kinda supprised when Jen was quite happy to spend the morning watching cartoons with me. It's one of those things I never grew out of loving to do. I was starting to worry that sooner or later I was going to wake up and find that I've been in a coma since last Wednesday, dreaming away. Monday was an interesting day. First day back since the attack. We drove in together and on the way through the doors, we caught a lot of people trying to hide smiles. Susan must have been working that rumor mill in overdrive. Still, through the day, I caught myself enjoying that cover story a little more than I would usually like to admit. The most amazing thing was walking into the break room and catching Jen in the middle of telling a slightly embelished story of our day at the lake to one of the other nurses. Turns out I'm a lot more romantic than I thought since there was something about a trail of roses leading to the tree we had lunch under. When she realised I was right behind her, Jen went about as red as a rose herself.

Tuesday wasn't as good. Susan wasn't rostered on for Monday, so we hadn't seen her yet. Kinda like the offices down town (Jen is still trying to find out who runs that by the way), it was for the best that we saw Susan when we did but at the same time, I wish we hadn't. She's one of them. Again, she's not wrong in quite the same way as the one that attacked us or the ones we saw down town, but she's still wrong. We saw her before we got to the doors and just kinda slowed from a walk to a complete stop. We stood there for a while trying to decide if we should just leave when she saw us and rather than raise any suspicion, Jen dragged me inside. The look I had on my face must have been pretty bad because the first thing out of Susan's mouth was "Trouble in paradise?". Between that monster asking me that and the condesending smile on her face, it was all I could do not to punch her through the wall. Jen was a lot calmer than me and told her I was just upset because she wouldn't let me take her out to the lake again this weekend as she wanted me to meet her sister instead. Hearing her force a giggle at the end of all that reminded me that she was probably a lot more nervous about Susan than me. I pitched in and said that her sister could come see us out there on the Saturday just as easily and we started walking off, still having our fake arguement and with Susan just shaking her head a little as we left. Since things have changed, I know that I have powers that I can use to fight these things. I don't know how I know or where they came from, but they're there and they're real. Jen on the other hand doesn't seem to have any though. She can still see them, but that's about it. I'll have to watch her closely now that we know about Susan. Until I can prove otherwise, I'm going to work on the idea that if we can sense them, they can sense us. I've already started to try figure out what to do about Susan. If only I could be sure that she'll turn to dust like the last one.

-J.C.

No comments: